HELPLINE: 01772 558 863

Helpline: 01772 558 863

There are a number of ways to contact Disability Equality North West. To help you get to the right person or team, please choose a service from below:

Independent Living Advice

Lancashire Independent Living Service (LILS)

Advice and support for those receiving a Direct Payment for their social care.

Contact LILS

Information & Advice Service

Help with welfare rights, benefits, advice on form-filling, access to services and practical help.

Contact I&AS

Supported Banking Service

Supported banking service for those receiving a Direct Payment for their social care.

Help with welfare rights, benefits, form-filling, access to services and practical help.

Contact MAS

Hate Crime Support & Action

Third Party Reporting Centre

A community based approach to supporting victims of disability hate crime incidents and those who are most vulnerable. Assistance to report those incidents,

Contact Hate Crime

Chief Executive Officer

Contact our Chief Executive Office

Contact our CEO

DENW Office Manager

Contact DENW Office Manager

Contact Office Manager

General Enquiries

    Reporting a Hate Crime
    09/10/2019 Website Admin

    Reporting a Hate Crime

    Posted in DENW

    9If you experience or witness a disability hate crime, it is important to report it to the police and receive the necessary support. If you don’t want to go to the police yourself, Disability Equality North West (DENW) can help you report it and put you in touch with services that will help you deal with any emotional stress you may be experiencing.

    Read on to find out more about how to report a disability hate crime, and what to expect when you do.

    What is a disability hate crime?

    If you feel someone has treated you badly, insulted you or hurt you physically because you look or sound different, have a carer, use specialist equipment or need extra support, this may be a disability hate crime.

    The Equality Act 2010 defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial or long term effect on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities. Furthermore, under the Equality Act 2010, people with cancer, HIV, and multiple sclerosis are defined as disabled from when their diagnosis is made.

    There were over 7,000 disability hate crimes recorded in 2018, up by 30 per cent from the previous year. A disability hate crime is defined as:

    ‘Any criminal offence which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice based on a person’s disability or perceived disability.’

    This means if you believe something is a hate crime, it should be recorded as such by the person you report it to. The police take all hate crime very seriously, and if a crime is prosecuted as a hate crime, it can result in a stronger sentence due to the hate-related factor.

    Fear of Hate Crime
    A hate crime can be committed in a number of ways. It can include:

    Insults and name-calling (verbal abuse)

    Bullying and making fun of someone

    Damaging property such as vandalism, graffiti or setting fires

    Intimidation or threats

    Physical attacks such as kicking, pushing, spitting and hitting

    Taking someone’s money (financial abuse)

    Taking over someone’s home or property

    Sending abusive or nasty letters, emails, or social media posts.

    How to report a disability hate crime

    If you or the victim is feeling threatened or being attacked, call 999 immediately and ask for the police, and an ambulance too if medical treatment is needed.

    If the incident is not taking place at that moment, you can also report a crime by calling your local police on 101, or by completing an incident reporting form online on the True Vision website: You can make a report without giving your own information, but you are encouraged to give as many details as you can, as this may help in a future court case against the offender.

    If you use the form on it is forwarded to the police immediately, but it may take several hours to get a response. Therefore, if you feel you are in danger, anyone is seriously hurt, or you believe the offender may still be present, you should call 999 instead for immediate help.

    Disability Hate Crime phone numberIf you would like some help with reporting a disability hate crime in any way, you can go through DENW, which is an accredited third-party reporting centre.

    To contact DENW, call 01772 558863 and pick option 2. Or, you can text 07841 017 472. You can email DENW on

    Reporting a hate crime to the police can be a difficult thing to do, but it is important to do so. DENW has the skills and experience needed to help you as a disabled person to report a hate crime and can help you access support services afterwards. DENW will ensure you feel safe and are protected from further harm, and make sure you feel in control of the whole process. You will be provided with a safe, non-judgemental space in which to talk and be listened to. All the information you provide is treated as confidential.

    If you’d like to speak to someone in person about a disability hate crime you have experienced or witnessed, you can visit DENW at 103 Church Street, Preston, PR1 3BS between 9.30am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). You can also call DENW using the number above and leave a message, and DENW will arrange an appointment for you with a Hate Crime Worker.